Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Medium has launched a series of subscription-based publications that exist to serve readers, not advertisers — and we are seeking a thoughtful, collaborative, and creative editor to join our growing marketing team and take Medium’s off-platform communities to the next level.
The engagement editor will be crucial in distributing to Marker’s editorial content and re-imagining what business journalism looks like. You will play a pivotal role in growing its brand off-platform and helping the publication be a leader in social innovation. You’ll work hand-in-hand with the edit, design, and marketing teams to craft both compelling copy and innovative social campaigns that elevate the incredible stories being told on the site.
You have spent 2+ years working in social or community engagement, ideally having worked at a fast-paced publisher in business, news, or technology. You are excellent at coordinating audience campaigns and calendars and you can easily juggle multiple projects at one time. You are independent, detail-obsessed, and love identifying what makes large audiences engage with content. You should have strong communication skills, an ability to quickly capture data and a knack for turning insights into action. You have a proficiency in the latest social media technologies, but you’re excited to push boundaries and find new, creative ways to use these platforms.
What will you do?
- Platform management: You will be responsible for day-to-day posting across the publication’s social accounts, with focus on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Editorial collaboration: You’ll be embedded in the editorial process, and responsible for story distribution and optimization across off-platform channels (including creating custom assets for social). The team will lean on you for audience strategy around major editorial packages.
- Partnership coordination: You will work closely with publishing partners and you will onboard new partners in order to increase the reach of the publication’s content. You will deliver content to partners like Flipboard, and Pocket in a strategic way to ensure the publication has excellent visibility on these platforms.
- Test, test, test: You know analytics, so you will keep track of audience growth, make recommendations for how we can replicate successes, and offer fresh perspectives on experiments we can run to elevate our social presence and supercharge our referral traffic.
Who are you?
- You have 2+ years of experience in social media, ideally having worked extensively with LinkedIn and Twitter as a publisher.
- You are detail-oriented, curious, and collaborative. You are passionate about world-class content and making sure it reaches the right people.
- You are a self-starter; you can take an assignment and run with it.
- You communicate ideas clearly and effectively; you know how to identify successes and failures, and effectively communicate those insights on to colleagues.
- You can distill complex issues in a succinct yet sophisticated way.
- You are proficient in insights platforms including Facebook and Instagram analytics, Parsley, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, and others.
- You know basic design software, including InDesign and Photoshop.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, encouraging, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
This position is based in New York.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.